Valentine's Story


A lot of people (especially teenagers) are experiencing anxiety around Valentine Day.  When kids are little they make cards for all their classmates and teachers and they get cards from all their classmates and  teachers.  But then Middle School  starts.  No one can make you make cards for all your friends.  Now they have to face the fantasy of the Valantine Day.
The movies are there of course.  Look, this person did not believe in Valentine Day but at the end of the movie she got her true love on Valentine evening.  Feel good movies.  By the way I love them.  I love movies with a feel good ending. 
For teenages Valentine is another way to feel that they are not loved or accepted.  Will I get a card from someone?  Will my friends give me cards? 
I have only one romantic Valentine memory. 
Picture this: 
We were separated with my husband.  I was sitting feeling very lonely and unloved.  It was heavy snow outside.  Then the car stopped at the end of our driveway.  My husband came out with a rose and started climbing through the snow that was hip deep.  He climbed and brought a rose.  ….  Aww..  Well,  did he stay and said that he loved me? And we lived happily ever after.  Nope.  
My Valentine story would not be that isnspiriong for my daughter.  
I think it would be really nice if Valentine’s day would be declared as a day of True Love, love to yourself.  Pleople would go out, buy flowers to themselves.  Think how cool it is to have their body, mind, spirit,  to enjoy themselves, etc.  
It can be Loving Kindness Day,  like a Buddhist meditaion.  First love yourself, then your parents,  teacher, friends, then neighborur, then enemy then random people, the earth, the plants and animals, the universe…oh I got carried away.

Dear Swamij, please announce the Love Day with New Rules.
But then, shouldn’t everyday be a Love Day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Guru and the Scandal

Amma's Darshan

New Thinking in Medical Doctors!