A “show” story


I just finished working on a fundraiser vocal show.  The theme for this event was our global community.  Many students of my school shared their heritage through this show.  It was called “It’s a small world…after all”.    We had music from Russia, France, India, Spain, Germany, etc.
Every show or a big event is considered  and is felt as a stress.  Every little thing can be stressful:  from printing the flyers to deciding on the marketing to booking the tickets.  Of course shows are fun and rewarding when they are successful: the thank yous , the smiles, the flowers.  This can be called a pleasant stress.
I still have some residue of stress in me and during the dress rehearsal I thought there was no way in the world I would ever let myself believe that I could do a project like that and I told to a couple of my friends that they needed to remind me next year that I was not planning to do it again.
However, I did notice several things: I was not as tired as I used to be during the “getting ready” period and  I was not as needy for help as I used to be.  I was able to be there most of the time enjoying and smiling.
These are also just some “cute” circumstances that popped up:
-        The show was scheduled and then we realized that a different show would be running at the same time at the same place;
-        Some of my advanced students (they can really do a nice job) got the leads in the school plays so were not available for my project;
-        On the day before the opening night my husband (we have been together, sometimes happily together sometimes unhappily for about 20 years) told me that we were going to divorce;
-        My computer that had the music for the show crushed before one of the shows:
-        We had a big number of disabled children at one of the shows and it was challenging to perform for some of my kids because they are not professional performers just yet and they felt so sad for these disabled kids;
-        My friend who would spend days coordinating with me a birthday party to make sure I would make it could not find one day out of three performers to come to support what I have been doing for almost three months;
-        The performers were running late sometimes and not always on their best behavior (they are children after all);
-        The last day of the benefit we could not even start on time because the play was oversold. 

Would you consider these different circumstances as stress?  I bet yes.  Me too

 A friend of mine told me during one of the shows: ”I am looking at you and there is chaos everywhere but you are peaceful and smiling.  What is the secret?”   And I thought to myself:  “Well, I do have one.”
We made $1,500 for our local community theater and all the performances were fantastic  I will have to learn the science of an un-clutched divorce though.  That part is tough still.

Comments

  1. This ia a press-release about the show:
    The students from The Biryukov Academy of Arts & Music put together a show where they celebrated the universal language of music. They worked with their teachers and Scott Mason, artistic director of Cornerstone Playhouse, and presented their review as a fundraiser which benefited Cornerstone Playhouse, our local community theatre that moved to historic Crescent theatre is Sussex about 6 months ago. Through their hard work and efforts, Cornerstone was the recipient of just over $1,500. In addition to the music, students also displayed art work that had completed. These paintings were on display in the theater lobby and rehearsal room for everyone to enjoy. Over the years Biryukov Academy program “Performing for a cause” raised a little more than $10,500 for different local and global charities using their wonderful artistic talents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Guru and the Scandal

Amma's Darshan

New Thinking in Medical Doctors!